My friend Jess likes to recite an African saying, “When you pray, move your feet.”
“Wall Street”, or more accurately the big corporate world, worships money, so the best way to get at them is to start a better distribution of our money instead of giving it all to big corporations.
1. Move your money from a big bank to a local bank or credit union. This will spur on loans to local businesses and create a more equal distribution of money.
2. Eat! (Locally) Buy from local farms. Microbrew instead of a Bud. Cook instead of going out and eating. Go to a locally owned restaurant instead of a chain. You get the picture.
3. Hippie/hipster chic a.k.a. buy used stuff. Clothes from thrift stores, books from half.com and other used book purveyors, household items from Craigslist, curbs, friends, garage sales.
4. Hang out in immigrant neighborhoods and stores. Go have dinner in your local Korea-town or Latino neighborhood. This serves more for inspiration than anything. You’ll see how there are other brands, other ways of living, people who still cook from scratch and can re-use stuff.
5. Get your punk on. Support indie artists. Watch a documentary on PBS or Netflix instead of a big studio release. Go see an indie band, a local art gallery. Buy from bandcamp instead of iTunes (like my CD All Good Cowboys for instance! #shamelessplug).
6. Create don’t use. Plant a garden. Start an art project. You’ll be surprised how quickly you don’t have time for corporate stuff (stuff = going to the mall, watching TV, eating corporate food) when you’re making your own stuff.
7. Get aware. Exploitation exists all around us. Research one thing per day. Research sex trafficking. Women’s rights. Religious persecution. Blood diamonds. Drug trafficking. LGBT persecution. What it’s like to be poor. What it’s like to be a factory worker. What it’s like to be a farmer or Walmart worker in the the poor parts of the country. You’ll be surprised what a little light can do.
8. Walk more. Or bicycle. Even if you can’t get anywhere but to the end of the block. Remind yourself that you are capable of getting around on your own two feet.
In short: do it yourself, support local, support indie, open your mind.
DONATE to the protest, IF IT IS WITHIN YOUR MEANS.
..and SPREAD THE WORD.
POST AND REPOST ONLINE.
BLOG ABOUT IT.
TALK ABOUT IT IN FORUMS
POST LINKS ON FACEBOOK.
remember to CREDIT THE ORIGINAL SOURCE: